ObamaCare in New York
To Get Started in New York Select From the Following:
» Get Information for Individuals and Families
» Get a Quote for Affordable Healthcare Online
» Call (888) 346-2306 from 9am – 9pm (M-F) for an Affordable Healthcare Rate
What information do I need when applying for ObamaCare in New York online?
When visiting NYstateofhealth.ny.gov have this information with you:
- Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants who need health insurance)
- Birth dates
- Employer and income information for everyone in your family
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any job related health insurance available to your family
How long can children stay on my health insurance policy?
The official ObamaCare enrollment period ended on March 31, 2014. Important Notice: Its urgent, to avoid future fines and penalties, to sign up for health insurance under the Affordable Health Care Act.
New York Individuals & Families: Find out the most cost efficient healthcare insurance for you.
Under the health care law, if your plan covers children, you can now add or keep your children on your health insurance policy until they turn 26 years old.
What is the difference between the plans offered in the Marketplace?
The Marketplace offers:
- This is the lowest cost plan available.
- It has the lowest premiums and the lowest actuarial value.
- The actuarial value of a bronze plan is 60%. This means that 60% of medical costs are paid for by the insurance company, leaving the other 40% to be paid by you.
- This is the second lowest cost plan.
- It has an actuarial value of 70%. This means that 70% of medical costs are paid for by the insurance company, leaving the other 30% to be paid by you.
- This is the second most expensive plan.
- It has an actuarial value of 80%. This means that 80% of medical costs are paid for by the insurance company, leaving the other 20% to be paid by you.
- This is the plan with the highest premiums.
- The Platinum plan as an actuarial value of 90%. This means that 90% of medical costs are paid for by the insurance company, leaving the other 10% to be paid by you.
- These are plans for people under 30.
- They usually have high deductibles, essential benefits and low premiums.
New York State of Health also offers dental plans to individuals, families and businesses.
Who can get coverage through the Marketplace?
To shop in the Marketplace, you:
- Must live in New York
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, or lawfully present immigrant (Different immigration rules may apply if you are eligible for Child Health Plus or NYS Medicaid based on your income)
- Cannot be currently incarcerated
Can my children be denied coverage if they have asthma or diabetes?
No. Under the new health reform, insurers can no longer deny coverage to children because of a pre-existing condition, like asthma or diabetes. Health insurers will no longer be able to charge more or deny coverage to anyone because of a pre-existing condition.
Where does the funding go in the communities?
Under ObamaCare, funding is increased to promote better health and services in all communities.
The funds are used to:
- Support ongoing health center operations.
- Establish new health center sites.
- Expand services.
- Support major capital improvement projects.
- Help enroll uninsured Americans in the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Hire more workers.
- To repay educational loans and provide scholarships to primary care physicians, dentists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, behavioral health providers, and other primary care providers who practice in areas of the country that have too few health care professionals.
Can I get help in another language?
Yes, New York is a diverse state with many people that may speak or read in a language other than English.
You can call the Marketplace at 1-855-355-5777 for more information or help applying for coverage in your language.
All help is free of charge.
Do all plans sold in the Marketplace comply with the new health reform?
Yes. All health insurance sold on official Marketplaces must include all the new benefits, rights and protections of the Affordable Care Act. To access your state’s Marketplace visit NYstateofhealth.ny.gov
If you have any questions contact New York State of Health by calling 1-855-355-5777
TTY: 1-800-662-1220 (Available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
What is the official ObamaCare Marketplace for New York?
New York State of Health is your state’s official Marketplace for New York. Visit NYstateofhealth.ny.gov
How is the New York State of Health Marketplace different from other online marketplaces?
The NY State of Health is different because:
- Consumers and small businesses are able to go to a state-of-the art website which makes shopping for health and dental insurance easier.
- It offers assistance from trained enrollment assistors.
- It is the only place where small businesses can obtain federal tax credits.
- NYstateofhealth.ny.gov is your state’s official ObamaCare website for New York.
- All health insurance sold on NYstateofhealth.ny.gov includes all the new benefits, rights and protections of the Affordable Care Act.
- The law bans insurance companies from imposing lifetime dollar limits on health benefits.
- Not everyone who doesn’t have insurance will be charged a fee or will get cost assistance.
- How much you pay for your premium depends on your income and household size (Tax credits and cost-sharing).
- Location, income, smoking status, family size and age all affect the cost of your health insurance premium.
- New York State of Health offers the people of New York health and dental insurance plans.
- When you buy insurance for your employees through the Marketplace you receive one monthly bill regardless of how many plans are selected by your clients.
- Subsidies are given as refundable tax credits.
- Affordable health insurance is defined as 8% of your income.